Pedagogical leadership in kindergarten sets the signposts for pedagogically coherent work in the whole early childhood education.
Pedagogical leadership is a broad term that encompasses many roles and functions in learning organizations. Pedagogical leadership can be seen as guiding the personnel’s learning, as well as the whole organization’s culture, in such a way that the pedagogical perspective is the value basis for all decision making. In addition, pedagogical leadership is often viewed as a shared leadership: the responsibility for pedagogical quality and its development is shared with the whole personnel.
The core task of ECEC is to promote a child’s holistic growth, development and learning, health and well-being. This defines and steers all work in ECEC, including leadership. This course presents pedagogical leadership as a modern leadership style in Finnish ECEC. It also showcases the meaning of shared leadership: shared values, visions, understanding and actions.
Goal: To introduce what constitutes pedagogical leadership and how pedagogical leadership is realized in Finnish early childhood education and care (ECEC).
- Participants will learn how pedagogical leadership differs from more traditional perspectives on educational leadership
- Participants will discover what elements and structures are needed for creating and implementing pedagogical leadership in kindergarten
- Participants will get equipped with ideas and practical tools for developing pedagogical leadership in kindergarten or their ECEC unit
- How the core task of early childhood education defines leadership in ECEC
- A narrow and broad notions of pedagogy and their implications for leadership practices
- Pedagogical leadership as part of an organizational culture
- Pedagogical leadership through the lens of systems thinking and a layered organization structure
- Constructive environment for pedagogical leadership
- Mechanism of shared pedagogical leadership
- Practical examples of pedagogical leadership in Finnish ECEC
Completion methods: in total 44 mins video lectures, additional learning material, learning assignment.
The course is offered as a self-study online course. The course is asynchronous and can be completed at the participant’s own pace during 30 days.
Duration: in total 5h
Target group: ECEC / Kindergarten principals
Produced by: Learning Scoop
Course platform: Claned Online Learning Platform
Access to the course: 30 days
Recommended products to combine with this course: E5 Kindergarten as a learning organization, E6 Co-operation in Finnish ECEC: building shared understanding and trust, E8 Many roles of a kindergarten leader and Principal Study Tour