How to develop kindergarten as a learning organization?
Learning organizations have several characteristics: shared vision, continuous learning, team learning and collaboration, culture of inquiry, innovation and exploration, exchange of knowledge and learning etc. Kindergartens should be places devoted to learning: children, as well as adults, learn together in a nurturing environment.
What is characteristic for a kindergarten as a learning environment and how can we enhance these properties in everyday work of a kindergarten?
This online course for kindergarten principals introduces the idea of a kindergarten as a learning organization. The course offers theoretical and practical tools for kindergarten principals for sustainable development of a kindergarten: e.g. systems thinking approach and developing the operational culture.
Goal: To introduce key elements of the kindergarten as a learning organization and emphasize the role of the manager in building an operational culture
- You will be able to identify the role of the manager in building a learning organization
- You will be able to implement a systems thinking approach to support the kindergarten’s sustainable development
- You will be able to reflect on your kindergarten’s operational culture and make the changes needed to bring it to the 21st century educational standards
- Key concepts
- Kindergarten as a learning organization. Rhetorics or reality?
- Bureaucratic vs. learning organisation
- Operational culture and the concept of learning
- Characteristics of a learning organization
- Systems thinking for sustainable development of a kindergarten
- Characteristics of a sustainably developed kindergarten
- Operational culture in ECEC
Completion methods: 53 mins video lectures, additional learning material, learning assignment.
The course is offered as a self-study online course. The course is asynchronous and can be completed at the participant’s own pace during 30 days.
Duration: in total 5h
Target group: ECEC / Kindergarten principals
Course platform: Claned Online Learning Platform
Access to the course: 30 days
Recommended courses to combine with this course: E2 Promoting young children’s learning in practice, E3 Designing effective lessons and educational activities for young children and E9 Pedagogical leadership as a basis for operation in ECEC.