Sustainable Development in Education online course for teachers helps you to include engaging sustainable development themes to your lessons.
During this training you will learn the fundamentals of Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) and learn to apply phenomenal sustainable development issues to education. You will learn to introduce and discuss new wicked science topics with your students; learn how to motivate students with positive pedagogy; learn how to use holistic, inquiry-based, student-centered project-based approaches; learn how to support the learning of 21st century and action competence skills.
- To know new practices from Finland, suitable to be applied at your school / in your teaching
- To be ready to start using positive strength-based feedback and learning
- Have tools to engage your students using holistic science perspectives
- you will gain a deeper understanding of ESD and 21st Century Skills
- you will learn about the National Curriculum in Finland and best practices
- you will learn about positive pedagogy and how to apply it in your own teaching
- you will find inner motivation through new ideas and values for creating a sustainable world
- you will get ideas for integrating elements of ESD into various subject areas
- you will get tools and resources for your own teaching
Sustainable Development in Education is an online, self-paced course, a general program. You will earn a course certificate including personal feedback after sending in a learning report.
The producer of this course, EduGems, is an online Learning Academy from Finland, bringing you the world’s top pedagogical expertise in Education for Sustainable Development (ESD).
- Unit 1: Understand the research-based challenges and opportunities teachers face when implementing sustainability into teaching
- Unit 2: Recognise – through Flipped learning method – the possible new elements of pedagogies of ESD in education
- Unit 3: Learn the outlines for why there is an urgent need for implementing ESD to education
- Unit 4: Improve the students motivation to study new systemic and complex topics
- Unit 5: Practical examples of positive pedagogy with guest teacher M.Ed. Maija Hiekkala. The benefits of combining positive pedagogy to your teaching
- Unit 6: Typical features of sustainable development practices of schools in Finland.
- Unit 7: Understanding the multidisciplinary learning modules
- Unit 8: The seven transversal competences in the Finnish National core curriculum.
- Unit 9: Supporting action competence skills in students
- Unit 10: Life and teaching in Lapland
The course includes:
- Access to our online learning platform (for 30 days)
- 17 inspiring videos covering 10 units with energizing and insightful reading and reflection tasks
- The e-book Sustainable Development in Science Education
- Access to EduGems’ Teacher Community
- A summative learning report and a training certificate upon completion of tasks
Completion methods: online and self-paced, videos, reading materials, learning report to fill in and send in
Duration: approx. 15-20 hours
Target group: For all teachers of pre-primary, primary and secondary/higher secondary. For all subject/level teachers/school administration, etc
Produced by: EduGems Finland
Access to the course: 30 days
Suggested courses to combine with this course: B6, S8, S9, S10.
Recommended online courses and trainings to combine with this course: B1 Cornerstones of Finnish education, B6 Educational Approaches in Finland – “Teach like Teachers in Finland!”, S1 Introduction to Finnish STEAM education, and Teaching and Learning 21st Century Skills – online webinar.