Sustainable Development in Education online course for teachers helps you to include engaging sustainable development themes to your lessons.
During this training you will learn the fundamentals of Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) and learn to apply phenomenal sustainable development issues to education. You will learn to introduce and discuss new wicked science topics with your students; learn how to motivate students with positive pedagogy; learn how to use holistic, inquiry-based, student-centered project-based approaches; learn how to support the learning of 21st century and action competence skills.
- To know new practices from Finland, suitable to be applied at your school / in your teaching
- To be ready to start using positive strength-based feedback and learning
- Have tools to engage your students using holistic science perspectives
- Understand why, how and what about ESD.
- Recognise 21st century skills and ways to promote them
- Recognise the main features of the Finnish National Curriculum and education model that support ESD
- Feel inspired through new ideas and values for creating a sustainable world, and motivated to encourage your students towards a stronger sustainability mindset
- Feel comfortable to create lesson plans that incorporate ESD
- Be informed about different tools and resources about ESD you can use in your own teaching
Sustainable Development in Education is an online, self-paced course, a general program. You will earn a course certificate including personal feedback after sending in a learning report.
The producer of this course, EduGems, is an online Learning Academy from Finland, bringing you the world’s top pedagogical expertise in Education for Sustainable Development (ESD).
- Study the fundamental concepts of Education for Sustainable Development (ESD)
- Explore the challenges and opportunities in ESD
- Study the main components and features of holistic, inquiry-based, student-centered and project-based approaches for ESD
- Familiarize yourself with new wicked science topics and how to introduce and discuss them with your students
- Go over different examples of how to use holistic, inquiry-based, student-centered project-based approaches.
- Revise the theory and practical examples to support competence skills in your students.
- Hear from experts about the National Curriculum and best Finnish practices to incorporate sustainability in schools’ daily life.
- Complete different reading and reflection tasks about your own learning during the course.
- Get support and guidance on designing a lesson plan * that incorporates ESD in your teaching.
Completion methods: online and self-paced, videos, reading materials, learning report to fill in and send in
Duration: approx. 15-20 hours
Target group: For all teachers of pre-primary, primary and secondary/higher secondary. For all subject/level teachers/school administration, etc
Produced by: EduGems Finland
Access to the course: 30 days
Suggested courses to combine with this course: B6, S8, S9, S10.
Recommended online courses and trainings to combine with this course: B1 Cornerstones of Finnish education, B6 Educational Approaches in Finland – “Teach like Teachers in Finland!”, S1 Introduction to Finnish STEAM education, and Teaching and Learning 21st Century Skills – online webinar.