Transforming Education – Teachers ESD Training 2022
This Teachers ESD Training gives you the fundamental skills and competences declared by UNESCO to teach Education for Sustainable Development. Additionally you will learn the best Educational Approaches from Finland and how Finland has successfully incorporated ESD to its National core curriculum.
- All level teachers
- November 11th – December 18th, 2022
- Complete at your own time and schedule
- Approximately 30 hours to complete full training
- Participants are required to complete the training by December 18th, 2022
- 100% online. Learners get access to EduGems e-learning platform.
- Taught in English by Dr. Marianne Juntunen.
- Webinars include Finnish and international guest speakers.
Training fee: 120€ (+VAT in EU) per participant. Register and pay before November 11th, 2022.
Start your journey for Education for Sustainable Development by joining this training. Receive immediate access to all course materials after payment.
- Self-study modules and webinars
- Discussions and support
- Resources for students
- 1 written assignment (design a lesson plan)
- Personal feedback
- ESD Teacher Training 2022
“Education for Sustainable Development must be a core component of all education systems at all levels by 2025.”
What is ESD?
Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) empowers learners of all ages with the knowledge, skills, values and attitudes to address the interconnected global challenges we are facing, including climate change, environmental degradation, loss of biodiversity, poverty and inequality.
“Learning must prepare students and learners of all ages to find solutions for the challenges of today and the future.”
Why is this training important?
Education for Sustainable Development is still mostly unknown and unused in schools around the world, yet it is a SDG 4.7 and its implementation is urgent! The World lacks holistic science lessons aligning with sustainability and pedagogy typical in Finland – trusting the capabilities of learners.
Finland has successfully incorporated holistic ESD to its curriculum, and is currently taking the lead in making this transformation possible worldwide, and EduGems is leading the way!
Meet your instructor
Pedagogical Director Marianne Juntunen is Dr. in Chemistry Education, M. Sc. in Chemistry and Mathematics education, M.Sc. in Technical microbiology, and was awarded for being the most innovative science teacher in Finland in 2016.
During this training you will:
- Study the fundamental concepts of Education for Sustainable Development (ESD)
- Explore the challenges and opportunities in ESD
- Study the main components and features of holistic, inquiry-based, student-centered and project-based approaches for ESD
- Familiarize yourself with new wicked science topics and how to introduce and discuss them with your students
- Go over different examples of how to use holistic, inquiry-based, student-centered project-based approaches.
- Revise the theory and practical examples to support competence skills in your students.
- Hear from experts about the National Curriculum and best Finnish practices to incorporate sustainability in schools’ daily life.
- Complete different reading and reflection tasks about your own learning during the course.
- Get support and guidance on designing a lesson plan * that incorporates ESD in your teaching.
* The lesson plan is a requisite to achieve a certificate from this course.
The objective is to localise its content as much as possible with your local issues (school/community), and integrate into the lesson plan the most important concepts and elements of ESD that have been discussed in the course. You will receive personalised feedback and improvement suggestions about your lesson plan from EduGems pedagogical team of ESD experts.
- Understand the why, how and what about ESD.
- Recognise 21st century skills and ways to promote them
- Recognise the main features of the Finnish National Curriculum and education model that support ESD
- Feel inspired through new ideas and values for creating a sustainable world, and motivated to encourage your students towards a stronger sustainability mindset
- Feel comfortable to create lesson plans that incorporate ESD
- Be informed about different tools and resources about ESD you can use in your own teaching
Upon training completion you will receive a beautiful signed certificate from Finland. Our teachers achievements are celebrated in EduGems Teacher Community and social media pages.
Produced by: EduGems Finland
Recommended online courses and trainings to combine with this course: B1 Cornerstones of Finnish education, B6 Educational Approaches in Finland – “Teach like Teachers in Finland!”, S1 Introduction to Finnish STEAM education, and Teaching and Learning 21st Century Skills – online webinar.