How is support for learning and behavioral needs organized in Finnish early childhood education?
Early childhood education and care (ECEC) is part of the Finnish education system and an important stage on the child’s path of growing and learning. Early childhood education and care combines education, teaching and care in a systematic and goal-oriented manner.
The goal of Finnish ECEC is to promote children’s development, health and wellbeing as well as to improve children’s opportunities for learning. This requires individual support according to each child’s individual needs.
This course gives an overview of support for learning and behavioral needs in Finnish education and in early childhood education especially. The following themes are covered: prevention and early intervention, integration and inclusion, three-level support system, and multi-professional co-operation. In addition examples of specialized programs are introduced. Examples are mainly from ECEC, but applicable to primary education, too.
Goal: To introduce the key principles of support system in Finnish early childhood education and review specialized programs for promoting a child’s holistic development.
- Participants will gain new insights into how a child’s welfare and learning are enhanced through the principles of early identification, intervention and support of diverse needs
- Participant will learn about a three-tiered model of support and a child’s individual ECEC plan as a tool for formulating and implementing pedagogical objectives and methods of work
- Participants will discover what the specialized programs focusing on specific sets of skills or competences can offer for implementation of educational goals and objectives
- Supporting the whole child and their varied needs
- Co-operation with families and multi-professional co-operation
- Basic, intensified and special support
- A child’s individual ECEC plan as an action plan
Specialized programs for promoting:
- personal-socio-emotional skills
- physical education through outdoor learning
- ecological and sustainable development
- cultural and language awareness
- digital learning
Completion methods: 45 mins video lecture, additional learning material, learning assignment
The course is offered as a self-study online course. The course is asynchronous and can be completed at the participant’s own pace during 30 days.
Duration: in total 5h
Target group: ECEC and K-6 teachers, principals and education experts
Produced by: Learning Scoop
Course platform: Claned Online Learning Platform
Access to the course: 30 days
Recommended courses to combine with this course: B1 Cornerstones of Finnish education, E1 The concept, purpose and mission of the Finnish early childhood education system (ECEC), E2 Promoting young children’s learning in practice and E3 Designing effective lessons and educational activities for young children.