The course 21st Century Coding Pedagogy addresses the key pedagogical principles of how to teach coding by maximizing student learning and engagement through collaboration and creativity. The course is built over our firm experience on online teacher professional development courses: this course maximizes teacher learning and engagement as well.
Learn how to teach coding the Finnish way!
The 21st Century Coding Pedagogy course encapsulates the awarded pedagogical principles of Code School Finland for learning and teaching coding. Based on the Finnish National Curriculum – which emphasizes programming as an important 21st century skill – Code School Finland pedagogy aims to maximize students’ learning and engagement. The course consists of three learning paths: pedagogy, teacher’s role and assessment.
Contents and learning objectives of the course
Pedagogy and educational design
- Introducing Problem-Based Learning and Phenomena-Based Learning
- How to use peer learning as a part of collaborative programming learning?
- Transversal learning goals in programming education
- Teacher’s role as a guide for learning rather than as an expert
- How to celebrate both success and failure while learning to code?
- Understanding the role of assessment in programming learning
- Being able to design opportunities for students’ active feedback seeking and reflection
- The course suits anyone interested in enhancing their skills and knowledge on how to teach coding in the most efficient way.
- In- and pre-service teachers and tutors can tie the course tasks with their work by completing them in their classrooms.
- The course material is best suited for K-12 education.
Build your own teaching portfolio
We firmly believe that teaching students to code should be based on meaningful real-life tasks – this holds true for teacher training too! The course includes instructions for building up your personal teaching portfolio that can be used to share your expertise. The portfolio is based on the course tasks. It is not needed for completing the course.
Earn a badge
After the course, you will receive a badge certified by Code School Finland. This badge entails that you understand the premises of 21st century pedagogy concerning programming education, and know how to utilize this knowledge in practice. To earn the badge, you will need to complete all the course tasks and tests successfully.
The course is offered as a self-study, guided online course available via Code School Finland’s digital learning platform.
Completing the course takes approximately 24 hours.
The course 21st Century Coding Pedagogy offers:
- interactive texts with videos
- professional learning tasks
- course tasks that can be completed as a part of your teaching profession (e.g., in your own classroom)
- access to an online Discussion Forum for sharing and interacting with other course participants
- interacting with and getting feedback from CSF trainers
- participants passing the course exam successfully will receive a Code School Finland certified Digital Badge
Participants will have access to the course for 3 months from the date of first access. The course is asynchronous and can be completed at the participant’s own pace.
Recommended online courses and trainings to combine with this course: B6 Educational Approaches in Finland – “Teach like Teachers in Finland!”, S1 Introduction to Finnish STEAM education, S4 Minecraft Education Edition promoting learning, and Teaching and Learning 21st Century Skills – online webinar.
There are no reviews yet.