Do you want to learn more about the contemporary Finnish pedagogy in an innovative study tour?
Arctic Pedagogy Study Tour combines the Magic of Northern Finland and top-quality pedagogical content. Arctic study tour presents the core elements of Finnish basic education and offers visitors the chance to dive deep into Finnish pedagogical innovations in magical winter setting.
Target groups: teachers, principals, school owners, anyone interested in Finnish K-9 basic education, Finland’s excellent learning results, Finnish pedagogy, and the latest educational innovations
Objectives: The program presents visitors the core elements of Finnish basic (K-9) education, especially curriculum, learning environment and pedagogy. It also highlights the factors influencing Finland’s success in international learning comparisons. Furthermore, the program offers participants first-hand experiences about everyday life in Finnish schools and classrooms and a chance to witness educational innovations in Finnish basic education themselves.
Where: Oulu, Northern Finland.
On request for groups, contact us!
Educational program daily at 9am – 3pm in English
The tour will be organized with minimum of 10 participants.
What will you see when visiting a Finnish scool?
Monday: Introduction to the Finnish Education System
- Introduction to the Finnish Education system and its core principles: trust, equality, emphasis on well-being, learning life-skills etc.
- Paradoxes of Finnish Education: Less is More, No dead ends etc.
- School visit to Oulujoen alakoulu, grades 1-6
- Welcoming dinner (option to Sunday evening)
Tuesday: Curriculum and Assessment in the Finnish Basic Education
- Learner centered approach in Finnish basic education
- National core curriculum: from transversal competencies to multi-disciplinary study units
- Assessment in the Finnish Basic Education: continuous assessment, but no national tests
- New learning environments
- School visit to Metsokangas Comprehensive School, grades 1-9
Wednesday: IT and digital learning aids in basic education
- Digital change in Finnish education
- From information seeking to information creation
- ICT tools, infrastructure and usability
- EdTech devices, digital teaching and learning applications and programs in basic education
- Digital learning materials and edugames
- Media education
- LessonApp – a mobile tool to design quality lessons The Finnish way
- Visit to Local School
Evening program: Finnish outdoor culture & Sauna experience
- snow fun: cross country skiing or sledging
- ice-hole dipping and sauna
Thursday: Environmental education and outdoor learning
- Environmental education and sustainability in national core curriculum
- Outdoor learning: discovery, experimentation, learning about and connecting to nature, adventure activities
- What are the benefits of outdoor learning?
- Nature as a learning environment
- Environmental education: information, skills, attitudes and values
- Sustainable development as a learning goal
- Visit to Timosenkoski nature school
Friday: Versatile pedagogy for different learners
- Versatile teaching methods based on the new curriculum
- STEAM projects – multidisciplinary study units
- Värkkäämö Maker Space
- Flexible Basic Education – a way to gain lost school motivation
- School visit to Yli-Ii School, grades 1-9
- Visit to reindeer farm with the students
Evening program: Get-together
Saturday: Excursion to Winter Wonderland
- Guided bus tour
- Visit to SnowCastle in Kemi
- Visit to Santa Claus Village at the Arctic Circle
- Bus transportation back to Oulu
Sunday: Outdoor Activities and Wrap-up
- Husky Dog Sledding
- Farewell Lunch
- Reflection of the programme
- Certificates of Participation
Training methods: The program includes workshops by Finnish education experts to the various themes mentioned above.
Trainers: Learning Scoop is a Finnish company working in the fields of education and training. The staff comprises experienced teachers, principals and early childhood education experts, who have received excellent feedback on their work.
The trainers at Learning Scoop have years of teaching experience gained through the Finnish educational community and through teacher training. Learning Scoop trainers have received outstanding feedback for their well-executed and inspiring training sessions and study visits.
Learning Scoop’s Study Tours were awarded as the most authentic Finnish educational travel products and the best professional programs for teachers.
Costs: The price for individual participant is 2350€ + possible VAT 24% / person
Please ask for an offer!
The program includes presentations by the expert trainers, study material, school visits and bus transportation to visit places, certificate of participation, Premium version of LessonApp for free for a year, Book Finnish Education in Practice: What, Why and How, lunches, dinners mentioned in the program, Outdoor activities and Sauna Experience, Husky Dog Sledding, Get-together, Excursion to Winter Wonderland, Entrance Fee to SnowCastle, expert trainers and hosts at your service.
We are happy to collaborate with Lapland Hotels Oulu which offers you a chance to experience Lapland in the heart of a city. The hotel is situated in the centre of Oulu, next to the Cathedral and the historical Ainola park, and its 160 rooms have been decorated with skill and style to suit the taste of even the most quality conscious guests. The design of the rooms was influenced by nature and the stories of Lapland.
Lappish peace or mystique – it’s up to you.
Combine Finnish Pedagogy and Study tour experience in unforgettable arctic surroundigs!
Check out our other study tours too: Principal Study Tour, Basic Education Study Tour and Early Childhood Education and Care Study Tour! Or start by taking a virtual study visit in a Finnish school first!