Interested to learn more about innovative basic education in Finland?
Basic education (K-9) laid the foundation for Finland’s reputation as an education superpower. It is the regular Finnish comprehensive schools with grades 1-9 that are the core of the miracle of Finnish education.
Basic education in Finland is exceptional in worldwide perspective: it is public and free for all students, it has a wide variety of academic as well as practical and artistic subjects, and it is based on stress-free “less is more” approach. Yet it succeeds to bring outstanding learning results in international learning comparisons.
This Basic Education in Finland study tour allows you to experience this “miracle” yourself! During the study tour you will be able to visit Finnish K-9 schools and witness yourself how this top-quality education is carried out in practice. The whole week you will be guided by expert lecturers and hosts and you will acquire an insight what are the principles basic education in Finland is based on.
Target groups: teachers, principals, school owners, anyone interested in Finnish K-9 basic education and Finland’s excellent learning results.
Objectives: The program gives visitors an overall view of basic (K-9) education in Finland, it’s core principles and factors influencing Finland’s success in international learning comparisons. The program also offers participants first-hand experiences about everyday life in Finnish schools and classrooms and a chance to witness educational innovations in Finnish basic education.
Where: Tampere, Finland.
Daily program on Study Tour at 9am – 3pm
Program language: delivered in English
What will you see when visiting a Finnish scool?
Monday: Introduction to the Finnish Education System
- Finnish Education system and training routes
- Introduction to the principles behind the education system
- Paradoxes of Finnish Education: Less is More, No dead ends etc.
- School visit
Tuesday: Curriculum and Assessment in the Finnish Basic Education
- Learning theory and practices in Finland
- Learner centered approach
- National core curriculum
- Assessment in the Finnish Basic Education: continuous assessment, but no national tests
- School visit
Wednesday: Educational support: Inclusive education, guidance, counselling and student welfare services
- What does integration and inclusion mean in Finnish schools and how it is implemented?
- Categories of support: general, intensified and special support
- Student welfare services
- School visit
- Green Trail Nature experience or Dinner at Näsinneula Observation Tower
Thursday: Co-operation in Basic Education
- Collaboration between teachers and multi-professional co-operation
- Co-operation with parents
- Co-operation with other institutes and organizations supporting schools and learning
- School visit
Friday: Leadership and Management in Finnish Schools
- The role and tasks of a principal in Finnish schools
- Shared leadership as a basis for Finnish education
- School or day care center visit
- Evaluation and reflection of the program
- Farewell lunch
This is an example program. Minor changes to content and schedule are possible
School visits include:
- Guided visits to Finnish schools
- Different types of K-9 schools: from pre-primary school to the lower secondary school
- Participation in the school’s day-to-day activities: classroom, meal time, recesses etc.
- Opportunities to talk with teachers and students
Trainers: Learning Scoop is a Finnish company working in the fields of education and training. The staff comprises experienced teachers and experts, who have received excellent feedback on their work.
The trainers at Learning Scoop have years of teaching experience gained through the Finnish educational community and through teacher training. Learning Scoop trainers have received outstanding feedback for their well-executed and inspiring training sessions and study visits.
Learning Scoop’s Study Tours were awarded as as the most authentic Finnish educational travel products and the best professional programs for teachers.
Costs: The price for individual participant is 1450e+ possible VAT 24% / person
10-14 participants in a group the price is 1150e+ possible VAT 24% / person
15-19 participants in a group the price is 1050e+ possible VAT 24% / person
20 or more participants in a group the price is 950e+ possible VAT 24% / person
The program includes lectures, study material, visits and transportation to visit places, Green Trail Nature experience or Dinner at Näsinneula Observation Tower, certificate of participation, Premium version of LessonApp for free for a year, Book Finnish Education in Practice: What, Why and How, lunches and farewell lunch. Watch a video what happens during education study tours in Finland!
Next pre-scheduled study tours in Tampere, Finland:
Are you visiting Finland with your children? See Adventure Camp
We are happy to collaborate with Lapland Hotels in Tampere which offers you a chance to experience Lapland in the heart of a city. The centrally located hotel is close to our training premises and 141 rooms have been decorated with skill and style to suit the taste of even the most quality conscious guests. The design of the rooms was influenced by nature and the stories of Lapland. The restaurant serves unique tastes of Nordic nature and Lapland in visually pleasing dishes.
We offer fixed prices for our customers accordingly:
Room in Comfort Class for 1 person 105€/night
Room in Comfort Class for 2 persons 125€/night
Room in Comfort Class for 3 persons 155€/night
Check the availability and book your room at Lapland Hotels in Tampere by email firstname.lastname@example.org with code “LEARNINGSCOOP”
How was a study tour in Finland by Learning Scoop?