EduGems is an online Learning Academy from Finland, bringing you the world’s top pedagogical expertise in Education for Sustainable Development (ESD). Ecodesign is an applied ESD (Education for Sustainable Development) teacher training course. It is an advanced level course, and our strong recommendation is to have completed S8 Sustainable Development in Education course (Module 2) to get the most out of your learning to support your own teaching.
The socio-constructivist, story-based and problem-based lesson will help you lead and encourage the collaborative creation process of the students. The phenomenon-based lesson plans will enhance students’ understanding of products. You will get tools to help students practice 21st century skills, life-cycle thinking skills and present their own arguments.
Ecodesign is an online, self-paced course, and a course certificate is awarded upon submission of a practical learning report.
You will test the lessons with one or several children (aged 10-16 preferably), and create a learning report.
Goal: To take your teaching to a deeper, more advanced level, with new tools, skills and ideas around ESD. To strengthen the student-centered approach in your teaching. To take your professional development as a teacher one step further.
- to learn to apply 4 phenomenon-based and student-centered learning examples in your own teaching
- to learn about designing and planning for more sustainable infrastructures, plastics and cosmetics
- to learn about an eco-friendly approach to the development of new products, using systems thinking and eco-friendly resources that does not harm the environment
- Lesson 1: Urban planning – Build an ecohouse prototype and model a whole ecotown!
- Lesson 2: Let’s make bioplastic!
- Lesson 3: What are the colours of my daily life?
- Lesson 4: Project work: Let’s get creative and design a natural cosmetic consumer product!
This course includes
- Access to our online learning platform (for 60 days)
- Access to EduGems’ Teacher Community
- The e-book Sustainable Development in Science Education
- 4 teacher guides
- 4 lesson plans
Completion methods: online and self-paced, reading materials, videos, testing the lesson plans with students, completing and sending in a learning report
Duration: approx. 20-25 hours
Target group: For Science and Geography teachers of middle and high schools, or school Principals.
Produced by: EduGems Finland
Access to the course: 60 days.
Recommended online courses and trainings to combine with this course: B6 Educational Approaches in Finland – “Teach like Teachers in Finland!”, S1 Introduction to Finnish STEAM education, S8 Sustainable Development in Education and Teaching and Learning 21st Century Skills – online webinar.