Circular Solutions online course will help you to include sustainable development to your lessons in a motivating and engaging way. The producer of this course, EduGems, is an online Learning Academy from Finland, bringing you the world’s top pedagogical expertise in Education for Sustainable Development (ESD).
During Circular Solutions online training you will learn to apply circular economy and climate education to science education. The socio-constructivist, story-based and challenge-based lesson plan will help you lead and encourage the students to discuss about materials. The inquiry- and problem-based lesson will help you support students’ system thinking skills. The goal of the phenomenon- and inquiry-based lesson is to better understand one’s own consumption and scales of different types of daily-life action possibilities. The action-based lesson will help you in guiding the students to practice formulating an argument and presenting it to others.
To make the learning process more fun and engaging, and to support children’s motivation and passion for studying, EduGems Finland has created a story-based curriculum where the arctic owl Gem guides the children through a Quest for the ”Gems of Knowledge”. Gem the owl is challenging the children to find out ways to stay sustainable in this changing world of ours.
You will test the lessons with one or several children (aged 10-16 preferably) and create a learning report.
Circular Solutions is an online, self-paced course, and a course certificate is awarded upon submission of a practical learning report. This is an advanced level course, and our recommendation is to have completed S8 Sustainable Development in Education course (Module 2) to get the most out of your learning to support your own teaching.
Goal: To take your teaching to a deeper, more advanced level, with new tools, skills ideas around ESD. To strengthen the student-centered approach in your teaching. To take your professional development as a teacher one step further.
- you will learn to apply 4 phenomenon-based and student-centered learning examples in your own teaching.
- you will learn to teach about materials that we use on an everyday basis and about various aspects associated to production, transportation, consumption and wastes after use
- you will learn about applying systems thinking skills in action-based climate lessons
- you will learn about how story-based lesson plans can make the learning more fun and inspiring
- Lesson / Unit 1: Focus on the basic materials around us in our daily lives!
- Lesson / Unit 2: Solve the problem of recycling!
- Lesson / Unit 3: How is my daily life related to climate change?
- Lesson / Unit 4: Let’s take an action together.
This course includes
- Access to our online learning platform (for 60 days)
- Access to EduGems’ Teacher Community
- The e-book Sustainable Development in Science Education
- 4 teacher guides
- 4 lesson plans
Completion methods: online and self-paced, reading materials, videos, testing the lesson plans with students, completing and sending in a learning report
Duration: approx. 20-25 hours
Target group: For Science and Geography teachers of middle and high schools, or school principals.
Produced by: EduGems Finland
Access to the course: 60 days
Recommended online courses and trainings to combine with this course: B6 Educational Approaches in Finland – “Teach like Teachers in Finland!”, S1 Introduction to Finnish STEAM education, Teaching and Learning 21st Century Skills – online webinar and Assessment Beyond Tests – online webinar.